Thank you for visiting the web site of New York State Senator Tom Duane, our Democratic Voice in the New York State Senate.
This website was designed so that constituents and other visitors can find out what Senator Duane is working on, whom in his office to contact for help, and how to support his efforts.
First elected to the State Senate in 1998 after seven years of distinguished service in the New York City Council, Tom Duane has made his mark in Albany and in the neighborhoods of the 29th Senate District. Located in the heart of Manhattan, the 29th State Senate District includes the Upper West Side, Hell's Kitchen, Chelsea, Greenwich Village, and part of the East Side, including the East Village, Stuyvesant Town, Peter Cooper Village and Waterside Plaza. To find out if Senator Duane is your State Senator, as well as who represents you at other levels of government, please click HERE.
Now in his thirteenth year in the State Senate, Tom Duane has been an effective fighter on a wide range of important issues. The following are just a few of his many accomplishments:
- Senator Duane first introduced New York's Marriage Equality Act in 2001 and continued to champion it until its ultimate passage and enactment in 2011.
- Senator Duane secured broad, bipartisan support for The Family Health Care Decisions Act, which was enacted in 2010 and grants medical decision-making authority to loved ones of incapacitated patients who do not have a health care proxy or clear evidence of their treatment wishes.
- Senator Duane introduced and led the successful fight for Senate passage of the Dignity for All Students Act, to protect our youth from being bullied in schools.
- Senator Duane spearheaded the Senate's passage of Timothy's Law, which eliminates mental-health treatment discrimination by insurance companies in New York State.
- Senator Duane ensured that the Senate and Assembly enacted key elements of Manny's Law, which requires hospitals to notify indigent patients of the state medical funds available to them.
- Senator Duane authored, introduced and passed legislation that ensures no one is able to escape child and spousal support payments simply by changing his or her name.
- Long an opponent of our State's antiquated civil and criminal statute of limitations for sex crimes, Senator Duane helped secure passage of legislation that completely eliminates the criminal statute of limitations for first degree rape, criminal sexual acts, aggravated sexual abuse, and sexual conduct against a child.
- Senator Duane has also been instrumental in passing landmark HIV-testing, sex trafficking, reproductive clinic access, gun control, anti-poverty, healthcare protection and civil rights legislation.
The best ways to reach Senator Duane and his staff are by calling his district office at (212) 633-8052 or by mailing material to State Senator Duane at the district office address below.